Friday, June 29, 2007

Do you have "must check my blog stats" syndrome?

Are you a new blogger? Have you ever been addicted to checking your blog stats? Was your blog stats the first thing you go to when you open your browser? Did you feel great joy when you see lots of page visitors and page views in your blog stats? If you answered yes to these questions, they you were probably just like me. You, my friend and just like me, have been infected with the "must-check-my-blog-stats" syndrome.

I would like to share with you my experiences with this syndrome...


Checking your stats very often...

...wastes your time

Unless your blog has a big traffic, refreshing the blog stat pages won't miraculously add a new page view or a new visitor. I used to check my blog stats every free time I had and nothing changes, the same numbers and the same graphs.

...will just disappoint you
I have been here a lot. =( This usually happens when your blog is still new and does not have much traffic yet. Imagine getting very excited to see increasing numbers but the moment you see your blog stats, nothing has changed or minimal change.

...will make you even more addicted in checking your stats
Do you know the effects of illegal drugs? The more you intake, the more addicted and dependent you are to it. This can be true in blog stat checking. You will get so addicted that the only satisfaction you get is to see an increase in visitor count or increase in page views.

...will distract you from your purpose in writing a blog
Unless your purpose for starting a blog is to check stats.

...is not as exciting as you think it is
Would you brag about your blog stats? How about meeting a friend and telling him/her, "Hey I got X uniques in my blog today! so cool dude!"


So have you experienced any of these? I did and I can honestly say that its something that is hard to get rid off. I can't claim that I am over the desire to check my blog stats completely, but I have lessened the urge to check. Well, from all the time down to most of the time is a good start.

I will be writing my personal cure for "must-check-my-blog-stats" syndrome in the next post. ^_^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also have that syndrome. Except I got burned lately :(

Thanks for adding me to your links. I feel honored to be among those experienced bloggers. Please be reminded that I'm just a newbie like you, too. Not an expert, at all. Just learning along the way and sharing the lessons.

Let's grow in the blogosphere. Best of Luck!

I'll add you, too, in my Great Links page!

Unknown said...

Umm what exactly do you mean when you said you got "burned"? My imagination is giving me weird images hehe.

No problem with the links. I am just being honest. Whenever I see Filipino blogs where I can read and learn, I link them up. =)

Good luck to you too and thanks for the add. I'm the one who should be honored to be added in your Great Links.